The Baltimore Times, WEAA 88.9 FM, GCOMM Media, ISEECOLORLIVE.TV, greiBO Media, and The Marc Steiner Show will join in the promotion of the awards named in honor of Anthony McCarthy, a Baltimore community leader, activist, writer, talk show host and minister. The Anthony McCarthy Civil Rights Awards honor people who exemplify the principles of equality, justice and service to humanity. This year’s recipients are:
· Tessa Hill-Aston — President of the Baltimore City Branch of the NAACP
· Congressman Elijah E. Cummings — Representative, 7th Congressional District
· Taylor Branch — Pulitzer Prize winning author and noted historian
· Ricardo Martinez — Business leader and Hispanic community advocate
· Dr. Helena Hicks — Civil Rights icon who helped organize the historic 1955 sit-ins in Baltimore
· Archbishop Carl Bean — Presiding prelate of Unity Fellowship Church of Christ
ItSuitsYou.org is a non-profit organization founded by Celeste Nelson to empower disadvantaged men and boys to be become better citizens, husbands, fathers and sons. The organization provides suits, shirts, ties and shoes to men and boys for the purposes of job interviews and special family and events. It works to give men and boys self-confidence and opportunities to overcome past obstacles and poor decisions to become participating and contributing members of the community.
Veteran journalist and host of “Square Off” Richard Sher and Maryland State Senator Catherine Pugh will serve as emcees for the evening. Baltimore hip-hop and spoken word artist Chris “Comrade” Goodman will perform and among the special guests will be Kenni Shaw, a young man who was the victim of a hate crime on Christmas day in 2012.
Tickets are $50 and can be purchased by visiting http://amcra.eventbrite.com. A portion of the proceeds from the awards event will go to ItSuitsYou.org.